We can make many small changes but it is also good to step back and look first at why we are making the changes. Exactly what scenarios are we preparing our students for? What jobs will they applying for?
FUTURE OF FASHION (CAREERS)
My colleague and I used the Forum for the Future report ‘Fashion Futures 2025’ for internal ideas-building. It was interesting, fun and we will use it again as a brainstorm tool with our students to generate more ideas:
1. Democratised fashion, putting production back into the life of the individual (as a start we see H&M Hamburg store offers customization/repair), re-gain the clothing knowledge in society that has been lost across genders/ages.
2. Fashion design by big data, produced by AI means that human design/production becomes obselete.
3. Customized fashion design by end-user, produced by garment company (General Supply knit, Nike ID, 3D print etc).
4. New/Eco Luxury (Bethany Williams, Re-done etc - high value, highly crafted, expertly sourced).
5. Artisanal - puts focus on artisanal, hand-made ‘human’ products impossible to make by machine, ensures traditional crafts endure and add value within our communities.
6. Design by 'Us' - small independent designers and heritage companies, locally produced, small scale, just locally or globally available, helping us to commune and connect in a machine era.
7. Shared economy - clothes swapping, clothing libraries, clothing rental brands & stores, modular clothing is easily fixed/replaceable to ensure long-lasting (as with Fairphone).