Last edited April 13, 2018
What is it and who is it for?
A mobile application that could:
- Assist event organisers in improving the impact of their events before, during, and after the event takes place by:
- Digitising existing checklists and resources to improve an event’s impact (e.g. Metabolic’s handbook to circular festivals) for easy use
- Measuring an event’s total carbon footprint, amount of waste generated, energy and water consumed etc.
- Connecting event planners with providers that use circular strategies
House an online catalogue or website that sources event products (like cutlery, cups, t-shirts, freebies, event signage) that can be either recycled or are biodegradable
- Other suggestions? Leave a comment at the bottom of this page!
Netpositive Futures Supplier Engagement tool looks at the wider sustainability picture but is a good example of a very simple online tool that walks a supplier through sustainability issues and helps them quickly build a sustainability plan
(Based on A mobile application that promotes low carbon lifestyle for Events, Make use of the rich data of waste to engage attendees and review long term 'success' of an events by management and cities, Sustainable suppliers and service-providers are not only the solution, but the problem as well, Website resource for approved consumables that are recyclable or biodegradable and comments by Georgina Chamberlain)
- Engage attendees by:
- Replacing paper event guides and providing useful and timely information for attendees about the event (e.g. tickets, schedule, floor plans etc. but also recycling, return, and compost bins locations etc.)
- Integrating other efforts to promote circular behaviour at the event (e.g. return schemes to recycling competitions)
(Based on Make use of the rich data of waste to engage attendees and review long term 'success' of an events by management and cities and A mobile application with the team info - Line ups - Head 2 Head stats and other information regarding the game)
How would it work?
- The app could be white-labelled and branded for each event.
- The app could be adapted to different types of events so it fits the needs of e.g. conferences and meetings but also football and rugby games.
The missing pieces
- What resources are already available to assist sustainable event planners?
Apps like Universe enable event managers to digitise ticketing and registration and there are a lot of digital-only pdf based checklists to guide volunteers as well as project management checklist apps like Trello and Asana but are similar tools available for sustainable event planners?
- What key players need to be involved to successfully deliver the solution?
Small and medium-sized businesses that provide waste management services, circular innovators in the events industry, event attendees, event management companies.
- What evidence is there to support the viability, adoption and positive impact of the solution?
- What adds value to event attendees experience that would ensure the app is adopted?